Sunday, February 19, 2006

A lack of posts

Yes, I know that it has been a long time since my last post. My writing hasn't been going all that well the last little while. Most of my (unproductive) energy has been going into trying to rework a narrative of my spiritual journey for a context quite different from that in which it was originally created. It just hasn't felt right, and I'm afraid of it sounding unduly "preachy".

I think perhaps I just have the wrong genre for the task at hand.

I did read a very inspiring post by Joy Morris quoting Gregory of Nyssa. I was reminded that many times when we first encounter God, there are many other things present in God's general direction that we tend to associate with God. But as we get closer to God, we often pass those other things and find them falling behind — something we can easily perceive as God's distance rather than the approaching nearness that is reality. Perhaps as we approach God every more closely, so many false associations will have to be released that it seems we have entered pure darkness.

I'm just convinced that God intends to reveal as much of Himself to us as we can stand, and if that means stripping away a lot of comforting associations that are actually not God Himself, then so be it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home