Monday, September 26, 2005

Introducing email subscription

Shortly after I started this blog, one of my first readers asked if it were possible to get an email each time I posted. I looked at the tools available within Blogger, but couldn't find anything that really worked. Since then I've been on the lookout for some way to do this, and tried a couple options out, but nothing really delivered what I thought was the right solution.

Now, however, I'm pleased to offer an email subscription service that works the way I'd want to be updated, powered by FeedBlitz. You can choose to get the full post delivered your email inbox, or just a summary version containing the first 600 characters or so -- your choice.

At the top right of my main page you'll see a "Subscriptions" section that looks like this:

  Enter your email address
  
    Full Post Updates
    Summaries Only
  
   Powered by FeedBlitz

Just fill in your email address, choose the type of subscription you want, and press the button. You'll get an email requesting that you validate the subscription request, and providing a randomized password (you can change it later) for your account. Click on the validation link in the email and you're all set.

will send out one email each night advising you of all the new items posted to all the sites you've subscribed to. Depending on the feed provided by the site, most will be fully formatted copies of the original post. You can track updates to any site with an RSS or ATOM feed, whether the site explicitly offers an email subscription service or not. Even if the site has no discoverable feed, you'll still be alerted that something has changed on the site. Just point FeedBlitz to the URL of the site (or the feed, if you know it), and away you go. Each email will give you the option of un-subscribing from each individual site, or from all FeedBlitz subscriptions at once.

Try it out. I'm using it myself to monitor a number of sites I'd usually just browse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home