Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A churchless faith

The title article quotes sociologist Alan Jamieson's work concerning people who "leave church", but not faith. To a large extent it seems that the leaving is associated with a desire to face some hard questions that their church really didn't allow to be entertained.

The timing is curious, as I was just reflecting on the type of person that would be suited (or perhaps not suited) to an ongoing spiritual mentorship/direction relationship with me. My faith journey has involved a considerable degree of questioning, and shows no tendency to stop. Many people, however, are afraid of questions -- afraid that it may shipwreck their faith rather than strengthen it. Who knows, maybe for them it would. I have no desire to push my questions on others -- particularly on someone who might just be one whose faith is shaken by questions.

Yet, an open spiritual relationship requires that I be open with who I am and where my faith is going. That is, it requires someone who is unthreatened by the path my faith journey takes through questions. For I know deep in my gut, that no one can really walk that faith journey alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home