Friday, March 04, 2005

Spirituality for All the Wrong Reasons

As I read this Christianity Today interview with Eugene Peterson, I could just hear Eugene speaking. I've missed him. It was a good reminder that spirituality is not about me, not about a mystical feeling, and not about quick answers or particular techniques.

We've all met a certain type of spiritual person. She's a wonderful person. She loves the Lord. She prays and reads the Bible all the time. But all she thinks about is herself. She's not a selfish person. But she's always at the center of everything she's doing. "How can I witness better? How can I do this better? How can I take care of this person's problem better?" It's me, me, me disguised in a way that is difficult to see because her spiritual talk disarms us.

Ouch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home